Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4089 in lilypond: NR: Add better indication th

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4089 in lilypond: NR: Add better indication that the automatic lilypond 'footer' string is known as a 'tagline'
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 15:55:19 +0000

Comment #7 on issue 4089 by address@hidden: NR: Add better indication that the automatic lilypond 'footer' string is known as a 'tagline'

Hmm. Fact is, Lily doesn't handle headers, footers, and the other top and bottom of page stuff too well, and how it does handle it isn't documented too well. We mention oddHeaderMarkup and its siblings but with no example of how to use them and what they produce. We don't mention that, to set the same footer on every page, you just need to set oddFooterMarkup but that doesn't work with headers.

If you set headers, then the page numbers disappear. If you set footers, then the tagline and copyright disappear.

My conclusions: 1) tagline is a perfectly good name for the line that appears at the bottom of the last page. 2) we could do with documenting the header/footer markup stuff and its limitations better. 3) We should have an index entry "footer" 4) From a development perspective, rather than a documentation one, I think it would be better if page numbers, copyright, taglines, etc., were separate entities from the header/footer markup.