Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4048 in lilypond: (de)crescendo causes ambiguo

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4048 in lilypond: (de)crescendo causes ambiguous MIDI error
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 23:21:52 +0000

Comment #3 on issue 4048 by address@hidden: (de)crescendo causes ambiguous MIDI error

And by ‘design’ question I mean: Do we want Lily to complain at all? As Knute rightly pointed out, this reflects a specific way to use hairpins, which is definitely ‘correct’ within that style.
So I’d suggest to make it configurable at the very least (say through
\set HairpinStrictLoudness = ##t or
\override Hairpin.strictLoudness = ##t or
\override Hairpin.midiLoudnessBehaviour = #'seamless-edges vs. #'independent-edges
\override Hairpin.midiEdges = #'bound vs. #'free)
The last one seems most descriptive and concise to me.
Behaviour sketch:
If #'free (or strictLoudness = ##f or #'independent-edges) assign to the Hairpin’s closed end a midi volume as in effect previously, and adjust the (de-)crescendo accordingly. Continue playing with the volume from before the hairpin. If #'bound (or strictLoundess = ##t or #'seamless-edges) start with the midi volume currently in effect, make (de-)crescendo and arrive at a new level. If there are inconsistencies, complain (as it is now), but not with a programming error, but with a warning (perhaps "Can’t make sense of hairpin in MIDI"), pointing to the input location and appearing only if MIDI output is generated (i.e. given by Dynamic_performer IIUC).