[Lilypond-auto] Issue 4371 in lilypond: examples need explicit \relative

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4371 in lilypond: examples need explicit \relative c'' {} to copy and paste correctly
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 03:49:29 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Documentation

New issue 4371 by address@hidden: examples need explicit \relative c'' {} to copy and paste correctly

The justification at Learning Manual 1.4.1 "Omitted Material" for omitting \relative c'' {} is no longer correct :

"Why omit the braces? Most examples in this manual can be inserted into the middle of a longer piece of music. For these examples, it does not make sense to add ‘\relative c'' { … }’ – you should not place a \relative inside another \relative! If we included ‘\relative c'' { … }’ around every example, you would not be able to copy a small documentation example and paste it inside a longer piece of your own. Most people want to add material to an existing piece, so we format the manual this way."

1) The \relative command does nest in the correct way to preserve pitches:
\relative c'' {c4 e g %{paste%} \relative c'' {c g c e g} %{/paste%} a b c}
 \relative c'' {c4 e g  %{paste%} c g c e g %{/paste%} a b c}

2) The sequencing braces {} never seem to hurt when we insert them in music
   \new Staff { b'4 b b b
    %{paste%} { \clef "treble_8" g4\3-0 g-0\3 <g\3-0> <g-0\3> } %{/paste%} }
 and are necessary to get most examples to compile on their own.

There are 460 examples that use the implicit \relative c'' or \relative c' but not all of them really need the \relative, and most would benefit by being more easily cut/paste-able into a fresh score for experimentation.