Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4387 in lilypond: Patch: Let \relative work on

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4387 in lilypond: Patch: Let \relative work on \transpose content as if it were untransposed
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 06:01:06 +0000

Comment #4 on issue 4387 by address@hidden: Patch: Let \relative work on \transpose content as if it were untransposed

In a search for combinations of \relative and \transpose https://www.google.com/search?q=site:mutopiaproject.org+relative+transpose I find that often \transpose applied is to the whole part, which causes no confusion. There are also uses of \transpose of a short segment, a motif that recurs at different pitches, within a long sequence of music within a \relative. These cases usually use \relative around the motif.

Probably it would be less surprising if the melody stayed the same shape in the straight and transposed quotations
  motif = { c4 e g c b a g a }
  \relative c' { \motif \transpose c g' \motif }
But, I find it quite difficult to predict what octave mark I need in \transpose c g, \motif to get a continuous melody if we "let \relative work on \transpose ..."

Existing code depends on the old (quirky) behavior, so to preserve those scores convert-ly to \absolute\transpose seems appropriate.

The only purpose I know of \displayLilyMusic is to show the *output* of \transpose, and it is useful for that.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2005-07/msg00194.html