[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] Ticket 4337 di

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] Ticket 4337 discussion
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 16:01:17 +0000

Ok, for what it is worth, here is my take on it (and more or less what I ended up with at the end of the discussion): I think the advantages of a language-agnostic tagline outweigh the advantages of a translated promotional opportunity.

Writing just "LilyPond" (which does have a logofied spelling) is likely not making LilyPond's role overly clear, but "LilyPond 2.19.48" looks like a version number (unless you consider it a publisher's catalogue number). It also helps actual users to keep track of just when some score might be worth retypesetting with a current version. This will incentivize people to keep the tagline in even if they are distributing paper scores to people not working with LilyPond. And of course, we can make a clickable link in the PDF. It would be nice if we had a more logoesque readable logo than just "LilyPond" but being suitably small and readable and graphical at the same time is probably too much to expect.

So I'd vote for "LilyPond x.xx.xx" with an underlying link to http://lilypond.org and that's about it. It has a good chance to stay in, it's international, it's both pretty decent and informative (and the version number might help against the "I've seen LilyPond scores and they did not look good" effect for scores compiled 15 years ago).

Yes, there were a variety of opinions. This is not really a consensus solution but I think one a lot of people will be able to live with.

That leaves the question of a general document language support infrastructure open. Maybe we won't really need it, maybe it will be desirable. But for the tagline, I think overall we are better off without requiring it at all.

[issues:#4337] Enhancement: automatically translate tagline

Created: Fri Apr 03, 2015 04:29 AM UTC by Anonymous
Last Updated: Wed Sep 07, 2016 03:07 PM UTC
Owner: nobody

Originally created by: *anonymous

Originally created by: address@hidden

Simon Albrecht wrote :

please open a tracker issue for this thread. I’m going to make another essay at coding something sensible.

Yours,
Simon