[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #1291 R2 in si

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues via Testlilyissues-auto
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #1291 R2 in single 4/4 measure produces "Object is not a markup." and "I am not spanned!"
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 09:48:17 -0000

As part of my patch related to Issue 4375, I changed the error message to

programming error: Multi measure rest seems misplaced.
Which is at least more intelligible than getrods (): I am not spanned! (besides, that function’s no longer named get_rods).

Maybe David’s suggestion would be better, though:

multimeasure rest size not a multiple of bar size
Or for more clarity
Multi measure rest’s duration is not a multiple of the current measure length.
Thoughts?

[issues:#1291] R2 in single 4/4 measure produces "Object is not a markup." and "I am not spanned!"

Labels: Warning
Created: Mon Oct 04, 2010 01:24 AM UTC by Anonymous
Last Updated: Sun Sep 27, 2015 09:04 PM UTC
Owner: nobody

Originally created by: *anonymous

Originally created by: address@hidden

Reported by Marnix Klooster and David Kastrup,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2010-10/msg00062.html
%---------------------8<-------------------------------

\version "2.12.4" % the same for 2.13.35
{ R2 }

[...]

We currently get
/tmp/junk2.ly:1:2: warning: barcheck failed at: 1/2
{
  R2 }
Preprocessing graphical objects...
programming error: Multi_measure_rest::get_rods (): I am not spanned!
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Object is not a markup.
continuing, cross fingers
This object should be a markup: ()
programming error: Multi_measure_rest::get_rods (): I am not spanned!
continuing, cross fingers

Instead, the message better be either
Warning: multimeasure rest fails bar check
(in case that its length _is_ a full bar multiple)
or
Error: multimeasure rest size not a multiple of bar size
(in case that it could not work out anyway).

In case of a warning, error recovery needs to result in something
reasonably sensible.  If that is not feasible, one needs to create an
error instead.

A warning implies that Lilypond is going to do continue with reasonable
results.

--
David Kastrup

Again, not sure about priority. "barcheck failed" looks like medium; but "programming error" is closer to critical?..

Sent from sourceforge.net because address@hidden is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/