Re: Building on CygWin

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Building on CygWin
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 00:51:43 +0200

"Robin Davies" <address@hidden> writes:

> Just thought I'd let you know...

Sorry to take such a long time.  Imagine this, I read your wiki entry
before I found this email.  The wiki page is a bit more bold than this
one, it states that:

    Two workarounds are required, and are described below. As of
    April, 2002, a full install of Cygwin seems to include all
    packages required to build LilyPond,

But that can't be true: you need GUILE.  If it weren't for an official
GUILE port (Gerrit Haase promised to include guile-1.6 when it comes
out), I'd very much want to get (someone to get) LilyPond into the
official Cygwin distribution.  I take it that you installed guile from
our cygwin/lilypond port.

> 2. In /usr/lilypond-1.5.xx, run
>
>                  $ ./configure --with-kpathsea 2>&1 | tee log.configure

--with-kpathsea should be the default.

> 3. The resultant configuration doesn't include linkages for python (used by
> python/midi.lo). To work around this problem, open config.make and edit the
> USR_LDFLAGS to read
>
>   USER_LDFLAGS =   -L/usr/lib -lguile
> /bin/cygwin1.dll -lm -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config/ -lpython2.2.dll

Although this should be fixed by running configure, could you try
configuring like this:

   LDFLAGS='-L/usr/lib -lguile /bin/cygwin1.dll -lm \
   -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config/ -lpython2.2.dll' \
   ./configure

./configure should take up on the LDFLAGS you set, no need to edit
config.make.  Do you really need to name /bin/cygwin1.dll explicitely?

> This fails somewhere in documentation tree build scripts, but will
> successfully build everything needed to run lily.

We had some silly troubles; latest CVS documentation should build --
if you can get the necessary tools on cygwin, that is.

> 5. The install make procedure can't deal with .exe files.

I've made a hack for this, years ago.  It seems that either this hack
broke, or it doesn't get used.  Could you try latest cvs, or edit
config.make so that

   INSTALL='$(stepdir)/../bin/install-dot-exe.sh'

and see if that works?

> If anyone can make suggestions on how to fix the two workarounds neccessary
> to complete the build, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'll go ahead on put this
> procedure on the wiki site.

Good thing you did.  Feel free to edit or remove my comments on the
wiki as you find appropriate.

All in all, it seems not too painful for a windows build?
Greetings,
Jan.