Re: Lily producing bad latex

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Lily producing bad latex
Date: 14 Jun 2002 08:58:25 -0400

    >> But it also seems like the error reporting lilypond does could be more
    >> informative.

    Mats> ??? I don't understand how you produced the .tex file. From the
    Mats> latex error message it looks as if it contains Lilypond input
    Mats> commands, so it can't be the output of Lilypond.

I may have misreported the problem, but the actual problem I was
trying to point out was that when ly2dvi fails with a file like that,
i.e. one where the lilypond parses ok, but TeX or LaTeX can't read the
file, there's no pointer back to the actual line in the lilypond file
that causes the failure.

There is an even worse problem when running lilypond-book with the
\lilypondfile statement, in that the error reporting doesn't even
point you to the *name* of the file you need to look at.

At this point, this is probably an issue to be addressed after 1.6,
but it is something people should be thinking about.  I would like to
recommend that my recorder teacher write his book about Renaissance
improvisation in lilypond, rather than using Finale, but when I hit a
problem like this with my own stuff, I wonder how I would  be able
to help him with something like that over the telephone or by email.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139