Re: Problem with triangular noteheads back

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Problem with triangular noteheads back
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:23:07 +0200

> I reported this problem as a problem switching from 1.4 to 1.5, but
> the latest incarnation may have nothing to do with 1.5.
>
> I have set up a user (called stable) who has 1.4.13 installed in a
> private directory.  The system has 1.5 installed in /usr/local..., but
> this user has a .bashrc which invokes the private copy of
> lilypond-profile, and a $PATH which has the private copy before
> /usr/local/bin.
>
> A few days ago, this was working fine, and I haven't done anything to
> the private 1.4.13 installation.  This morning I had to make a minor
> change to a large work which hasn't been converted to 1.5, so this
> user copied the directory cleaned it out, and ran make, and gets the
> triangular noteheads.
>
> I assume this is because there's some reason it's getting the public
> 1.5 fonts instead of the private 1.4 ones, but I don't see how.
>
> kpsewhich reports:
>
> kpsewhich feta16
> /home/stable/usr/share/lilypond/1.4.14/tex/feta16.tex
>
> which is the right answer.

The interesting question is rather what 'kpsewhich feta16.pk'
reports. These bitmap files and several other font related
files are generated on the fly when needed and on most
distributions of teTeX, they will end up in some general
directory where everybody has write access. Thus, you
may have to run clean-fonts when switching Lilypond versions,
also with the new font setup scheme.

There are ways to circumvent these problems but the solution
depends a bit on what your current setup looks like and how
you want it to work.

  /Mats