Spacing problems

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Spacing problems
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:56:54 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> As I promised you, here it is a Lily score (Mozart Kegelstatt Trio KV.
> 498) showing some apparent spacing problems. The score is quite big, so I
> rendered the first page using Ghostscript in a .png file (see the
> attachment). Note that I used Lilypond 1.5.64.
>
> The problem is in the strange line subdivision: the first line has 6 bars
> (perhaps too much compressed), while the second has 3 bars, and the last
> one only 2 bars (too much wide).

I added some tweaks to current CVS to allow me to see what is
happening more easily (note   to Juergen -- I broke your
interpretation of raggedright. See comment in source code). The
problem with the score is the 64th notes. They occur quite frequently, so
lily considers them to be the shortest duration.

I was going to reply: "Simply set shortest-duration-for-spacing to
1/16th", but luckily I first verified my idea -- it never occurred to
me that I did not implement this feature yet :-)

But now, this option is in CVS, doing

        \translator {
        \ScoreContext
        SpacingSpanner \override #'common-shortest-duration = #(make-moment 1
16)
        }

puts the score on 10 pages -- which might still longish, be but a lot
better than the 17 pages it took first.