Big letters in note names.

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Big letters in note names.
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:00:03 +0300 (EET DST)

Currently the notes are translated with additional marks:

  c''' c'' c' c c, c,,

I would suggest that also big-letters could be used as follows:

  C'  = c
  C   = c,
  C,  = c,,
  C,, = c,,,

  etc.

That means that if one uses a big letter for the note, it means just
the same note, but one octave below the corresponding small letter equivalent.

This convention has an origin in the language as, at least, in finnish
these note names have the following names:

lily  proposed   finnish name        translation

  c              "pieni c"           "small c"
  c,     C       "suuri c"           "big c"
  c,,    C,      "kontra c"

The advanges of using big letters are that
     (a') the syntax becomes more close the language,
     (b)  with a single letter one can write two octaves
and  (C)  there are less commas to be written.

I like this idea as a simple and helpful one.

      Heikki Junes