Re: still lyrics

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: still lyrics
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 21:31:14 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> > I just fixed a bug in the lyrics-phrasing-engraver, and was fixing
> > up some documentation on it, when I noticed that there is actually
> > no documentation on the lyrics phrasing stuff. One example that I
> > noted, is that melismata are extended across rests unless the
> > lyrics-phrasing-engraver is put to action.
>
> But this is a bug, isn't it?

Only if it's not documented :-)

But seriously. There are so many aspects for which Lily doesn't
produce perfect music notation, that calling that a "bug" would give
the impression that almost every part of lilypond is thoroughly buggy,
and will be for next 5 or 10 years. IMO this is not justified.

That's why have a distinction between:

  1. Bug: the program doesn't work as advertised (documented). Fixing
     this involves some (usually small) mods to the existing code.

  2. Shortcoming: the program doesn't do something according to
     notation rules, but we never claimed it would. Fixing this
     involves (re)writing complete chunks of code, and is much more
     difficult than 1.

I think that the beam code is almost bugfree in your sense of the
word. I can't think of any other part of the formatting engine that
matches your definition of bugfree.

Unfortunately, keeping/making lily bugfree in the sense of 1. is
already taking a lot of effort. If you want 2., then you will have to
have a lot of patience, or we need serious increase in knowledgeable
hackers/free time to hack.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen