Re: Corrected patch to convert-ly

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Corrected patch to convert-ly
Date: 05 Aug 2002 09:06:30 -0400

>>>>> "Han-Wen" == Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:

    Han-Wen>Please try again, I _really_, _really_ prefer code that is
    Han-Wen>tight.

Since I have something that works for me, getting it to work for other
people the exact way you would have written it isn't at the top of my
list.  I thought I was being virtuous to write it in convert-ly
instead of in a standalone script, but I can move it out.

The next time I get python learning energy, I may have another go
using your suggestions, but I doubt that it will be this week.

    Han-Wen> I think you're the only one that needs to convert
    Han-Wen> breakAlignOrder. Not many people use it.

I have to say, I don't think the attitude to convert-ly on this round
of changes is the one that someone who really wanted to support an
installed base would take.

Both this change and the one to the default automaticMelismata setting
were gratuitous, and shouldn't have been done without a *simultaneous*
change to support them in convert-ly.

I don't really need to convert my 4.0 stuff to 5.0 until the old time
signatures get fixed, and I can do both these things with standalone
scripts. However, if you want non-programming users to believe that
they can upgrade their lilypond, convert-ly has to get better
maintenance than this.

We don't know how many other things that only a few people use got
changed without even adding the convert-ly support to a TODO list.
Until developers making changes start taking convert-ly support
seriously, users are going to be forced to treat lilypond as a beta
program at best.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139