Re: next patch for lilypond-book

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: next patch for lilypond-book
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:41:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> BTW, Jan and I agreed that the time has more or less come to freeze
> 1.6. Of course I'd like the (La)TeX issues to be resolved before that,
> and documentation fixes are no problems, but I'm just wondering: what
> more patches can we expect?

Well, from my point of view there are still at least two dozen bugs in the
ancient font code that I know of, ranging from simple padding/space-alist
problems over program logic errors (e.g. ligature bracket always produces
ancient font note heads), lots of warnings from lily's spacing/layout
engine to serious problems such as assertion failures on particular
complex mensural ligatures.  Mensural rests alignment is not yet
implemented.  There are also some design issues; especially, the current
TimeSignature selection scheme for mensural signatures is musicologically
seen totally broken.  And of course, many things still need to be
documented.

However, I will most certainly not be able to fix all these things within
the next few weeks.  While the last few weeks I concentrated on
stabilizing things rather than introducing new features, I basically have
nothing against starting 1.7.x, such that I really could start on vaticana
ligatures after more than two years of preparation (while still fixing the
remaining bugs, of course).  So don't wait for me!

Greetings,
Juergen