Re: Request for Comment - Chordname strategy

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: Request for Comment - Chordname strategy
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:06:30 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

After having mostly completed a rewrite of the ChordName to pitch code, it
became apparent to me that the opposite problem (converting a chord
representation to pitches) is much easier. Perhaps a regrouping might be in
order.

I understand what you mean but I tend to agree with Jan that a Much Better (tm) solution would be to add more flags to the notes produced by the current system. This way we could also keep supporting the <notes in chords> mode by making it possible to attach the flags to the notes directly.

Furthermore, choices of when to use "no" and when to use "add",

<c e g d'> gives c(add 9)

<c e g bes(no) d'> gives c9(no 7)

My short list of basic operators might include:

()  - Literal brackets in the output.

Hmm, too output-specific - imho better to use the general text-mechanism discussed below in such cases...

^  - superscript.

You would also use ^ to seperate constructs... Now I don't really understand anymore...

On the same topic, but in a much easier vein, I would very much like to add
support for "N.C"/"No Chord" to the chord engraver, although I'm not sure
what the easiest way to do this is. Something to do with fielding text
events? Or fielding rest requests? Either would do. My preference would be
to allow arbitrary strings in the chord line (e.g.   "No chord."1).

Sounds like a good idea to allow for arbitrary text-xtrings (in "quatation marks") in chords mode. Perhaps one could also (as an alternative) use the general markup-mechanism to specify chords so that one could attach chords as scripts, insert chords in lyrics, etc...

I know that Jan says that the markup is about to change - but as long as we don't know in which way it is gonna change it is really a bit hard to comment on...

-Rune