Re: guile 1.6 problem building debian package of 1.7.16

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: guile 1.6 problem building debian package of 1.7.16
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 02:02:43 -0700

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Assuming guile-config is installed with another name (guile-config1.6
or so, you never know), you can edit configure to look for that.
As above it doesn't seem to ahve another name.

Installing the 1.4 version I get:

Sorry, I must have been unclear.  LilyPond 1.7 does not build with
guile < 1.6, but the fact that Debian ships multiple guile versions
is indeed part of the problem.  See bugs #183977 and #188322.

The guile-config in your path must be the 1.6 version.

I believe you were clear enough. I did the research below before I read the bug reports you indicated. I have now read those bug reports and begin to understand the problem. guile-1.6-dev is supposed to contain guile-config 1.6 but does not. I now (again after trying libguile-dev) have guile-1.6-dev installed and get:

----
config.status: creating config.h

ERROR: Please install required programs: echo no guile-config 1.6 (installed: )

See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build LilyPond
Remove config.cache before rerunning ./configure
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 1
debuild: fatal error at line 456:
dpkg-buildpackage failed!
-----

AFAICT there is no Debian package containing guile-config 1.6 I used the Debian package search for guile-config and only find: libguile-dev. Searching for all versions of libguile-dev I get:

Release         Package (size)
stable * libguile-dev 1:1.4-24 <http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/libguile-dev.html>* (395.1k)
        Development headers and static library for libguile.
testing * libguile-dev 1:1.4-24 <http://packages.debian.org/testing/libdevel/libguile-dev.html>* (395.1k)
        Development headers and static library for libguile.
unstable * libguile-dev 1:1.4-24 <http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libdevel/libguile-dev.html>* (395.1k)
        Development headers and static library for libguile.

I am a developer but am somewhat new to LInux development. I have this symlink.
joy:~# ls -l /etc/alternatives/guile-config
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Apr 4 11:45 /etc/alternatives/guile-config -> /usr/bin/guile-1.6-config

What do I do next?

Thanks,

Paul