Re: when to expect gcc 3.2.x compat

From: Peter B. Steiger
Subject: Re: when to expect gcc 3.2.x compat
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:59:11 -0500

Bryan sez:
> I had posted a message on April 9th about it. Everything I found pretty much
> pointed to a problem with flex (peoples comments, archives, etc).
>
> I can forward you the message if you like, the subject was
> "failed make with gcc 3.2.2 and flex 2.5.31"
>
> What distro are you on?

For what it's worth, Bryan, you can install gcc 2.95 concurrently with gcc 3.2
without
any trouble.  I'm on a Linux From Scratch system, so I have a LOT more control
over
where things get installed (and what gets installed); I stuck gcc 2.95 in
/usr/gcc2 and
compiled flex 2.5.4 with that.  I don't know if it was actually necessary to
compile
lilypond with gcc 2.95 as well, but just to be sure that flex and lilypond are
compatible
I did so, and it runs fine.

I realize that the ideal fix will be for flex to work with gcc 3.2.x, but
that's a problem
for the flex people to fix, not a lilypond issue.  Until that happens, even a
canned
distro like Mandrake or Red Hat should let you install both flavors of gcc
simultaneously.

pbs
--------
Peter B. Steiger