Re: Building from CVS with gcc 3.2 on Debian Sid

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Building from CVS with gcc 3.2 on Debian Sid
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 20:53:08 -0700

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 20:36:37 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> >On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 20:11:01 -0700
> >Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>getopt-long.cc: In function `char* dcgettext(...)':
> >>getopt-long.cc:24: `s' undeclared (first use this function)
> >
> >Are you sure you're building with gcc 3.2?  This is the error that we
> >saw with gcc 3.3; Jan supplied a patch for it.
> >
> If symlinking /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/g++ to the 3.2 versions is
> enough then yes.

If you're fast enough, you can see what version of gcc and g++ it's
using from watching the output of ./autogen.sh and ./configure.

> >It should work now.
> >
> It has gone past that point and it did output  'warning huh?' when it
> went by.  Does this mean it will compile with gcc 3.3 now.  Will that
> patch or something better be in CVS at some point?

I can compile it with gcc 3.3..  As for the patch, I believe that the
patch works around a bug in flex or some other development package.  Jan
send the bug to them, so it should be fixed in a future version of flex.
 After a while, the updated version of flex will get packaged in
debian/unstable, and shortly after that (there aren't too many bugs
listed for flex), it'll hit debian/testing.

I don't expect the patch to enter CVS, but once you've patched your own
version(manually or automatically), CVS won't overwrite that file.