Re: Um ... new website frontpage

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Um ... new website frontpage
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 04:11:46 -0700

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:39:53 +0200
Jeremy <address@hidden> wrote:
> - "Miss Manners of Music Printing" is note English. Whatever anybody

ITYM "not English".

>   says, this sounds typically foreign. It's a bad pun, that similarly
>   to the Pond joke, will scare people away by a lack of
>   professionalism.

I agree that it's a bit unprofessional, but I wouldn't call it foreign.

> - Something which strikes me as horrendously ironic, is how -- while
>   joking with such titles -- the page manages to be so pompous
>   "beautiful music for everyone." Feeding a judgement to "customers"
>   (though admittedly you aren't really trying to sell anything here)

I don't see tht subtitle as pompous.  It says "beautiful music for
everyone", not "the best possible music".  I see the emphasis as being
on the "everyone" part, which is certainly true.  All the major sheet
music programs produce acceptible output; IMO the absolutely stunning
thing about Lilypond is that it's free and cross-platform.  Virtually
anybody can run Lilypond on their OS, and everybody can afford the
cost.

Don't get me wrong; I love the input method, the certainty of the files
(my classmates have complained about Finale screwing up their whole file
if they change this or that; I such concerns utterly foreign and
mind-boggling), and the music certainly looks nicer than Finale's stuff.
But the most special thing to me is that Lilypond is free software, in
both the libre and gratuis meanings of the word.

>   As a note, Coda Music's slogan is "Finale -- The World's
>   Best-Selling Music Notation Program" which passes no judgement at
>   all on the software itself.

And Finale's slogan "You'll love it.  Guarenteed" doesn't pass judgement?
What about "Discover Finale 2004
We are reinventing what it means to be best."

?

> - "Why did we revive the esthetics of traditionally engraved music?"
>   is just as arrogant as the Coda Music "Finale *elevates* the notation
>   experience".

Perhaps, but again I wouldn't be bothered by the arrogance.

BTW, thanks for pointing out a spelling mistake -- it should be "aesthetics".
I'll fix that.

> - If, like on my browser, the page scrolls, people are ultimately
>   going to want to rip you apart for putting the search function at
>   the bottom. Why not place it at the right of the navigation bar?

Seconded.  Search should be at the top.