Re: New website

From: Simon G. P. Bailey
Subject: Re: New website
Date: 11 Aug 2003 15:04:59 +0200

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 14:35, Graham Percival wrote:
> #  pick out something from our TODO list. Read it by running
>
>    grep TODO `find`
>
> on the source archive.
>

> address@hidden:~/dev/lilypond$ grep TODO `find`
> bash: /bin/grep: Argument list too long
> address@hidden:~/dev/lilypond$

rather than passing the argument list from find -- which returns at
current count 3753 files:

address@hidden lilypond-1.8.0]$ find | wc -l
   3753

try using the recursive flag (-r) to grep:

address@hidden lilypond-1.8.0]$ grep -r TODO * | wc -l
    752

that works... :)

NB: it seems the -r flag is GNU specific -- that command does not work
on a solaris system.

however, on a system not using GNU grep, you could try the following (in
bash or sh):

$ cd $LILYSRC
$ for i in `find . -type d` ; do grep TODO ${i}/* ; done

regards,
simon.
--
I have a very strange feeling about this...
                -- Luke Skywalker