Re: Figured Bass support

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Figured Bass support
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:01:07 +0100

 Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

address@hidden writes:
The last problem is easily fixed:

\property FiguredBass.BassFigure \override #'font-relative-size = #-3

just before the figures does the trick.

I've added this to scm/grob-description.scm

This change seems to have got lost - in 1.8.0 in scm/define-grobs.scm there is (font-relative-size . -1)

I sent a sample output from 1.8.0 to a composer (who had only seen finale, sibelius etc before) he commented

< Thanks for sending it to me. The quality is very impressive, and
aesthetically pleasing. >

One thing he pointed out (amongst other things I am working through) is that
the figures in the bass are unconventionally far from the notes they refer to.
The figures all begin at the same vertical offset, computed to miss the worst
case note. In the hand engraved scores I've looked at the figures start a short
distance below the note, or the bottom staff line if the note is entirely
within the staff. (i.e. they are ragged top and bottom).

Also the example in the 1.8.0 documentation assumed that the default direction was going to be #-1, so as it stands it generates a back-to-front set of figures.
With all this in mind,  the following revised example works with 1.8.0

\score {
    <
     \context Voice \notes { \clef bass dis4  c d ais}
     \context FiguredBass
       \figures {
\property FiguredBass.BassFigure \override #'font-relative-size = #-3
\property FiguredBass.BassFigure \set #'direction = #-1
\property FiguredBass.BassFigure \set #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 3.5)
\once \property FiguredBass.BassFigure \set #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5) < 6 >4
\once \property FiguredBass.BassFigure \set #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5) < 6 >4
<6 5 [3+] >
       }

}

This is rather verbose - is there some tweak available to make the figures automatically sit just below whatever is above? I have a sneaking suspicion that this bit is the right bit to tweak
(BassFigure
(Y-offset-callbacks . (,Self_alignment_interface::aligned_on_self))

but have no idea how (aligned_on_something_else? :-\ )

Richard