Re: Jazz notation

From: Carl Youngblood
Subject: Re: Jazz notation
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:47:52 -0700

(sorry Eric, didn't post on-list the first time)

Thanks for your response Eric. I am willing to admit that the particular examples I found were not very good. I couldn't find many on the web so I just did a quick Google search. Having seen many professionally-published jazz scores and charts in the music education industry, I think that it is a general practice to use jazz fonts for jazz. Not everyone does it, but a lot of people do. At least, enough people do it that many notation software packages offer the option. I have no trouble reading it. It is no more difficult to read than standard notation, and a lot of people (myself included) think it looks more "hip" for jazz.

Whether or not some people prefer to avoid it, and regardless of whether the examples I showed were not particularly good examples of it, I think it would be a valuable addition to lilypond. In fact, it would just do more to demonstrate lilypond's superiority if it did it a lot better than the other options out there.

Thanks,

Carl