Re: compilation error

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: compilation error
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 00:44:13 +0100

Hi!

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 06:36:46PM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > Even then -- I tried to compile the texinfo CVS, which relies on a
> > brand new automake version which
>
> Point taken; you don't need texinfo CVS.

Using the current LilyPond CVS (seems to be an upcoming 2.1.29) and
makeinfo-4.5, I still get "Too many errors!" and a core dump :-(

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:44:53AM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
[Discourage users from compiling LilyPond]
> You are right.  Maybe we are sending conflicting messages: do not
> compile Lily!  Help us (with the docs), send patches!
>
> What to do?  Maybe we should just change the 'do not compile' attitude
> a bit, and have 'supported' development platforms with a detailed
> recipe to compile lily.  The contributers of binary releases should
> make sure that the recipe stays up to date.  Would this work?

Well, I've *no* distribution at all. Nevertheless, LilyPond builds
without problems (with the exception of the makeinfo problems).

Requirements are mentioned in INSTALL.texi (BTW: makeinfo CVS is missing),
so there's no reasaon to discourage people from compiling LilyPond at
all or to restrict them to use "certified" environments.

    "Use the Source, Luke!"

That's what open source is about. LilyPond says "Better don't use the
Source, it may cause fear, fear causes anger, anger causes hate, and
hate leads you to he dark side of the power^WSource." :-)

IMO, whoever wants to contribute *should* be able to use (and build
from) the sources, and (s)he should be encouraged to do so. Thus, when
introducing "exotic" dependencies like makeinfo CVS, there should be
also workarounds that make LilyPond (and it's documenation) compile with
standard versions (i.e. good-old makeinfo-4.5 or 4.6).

Ciao,
        Kili

ps: I'll try to make `make web' working with old `standard' makeinfo
(4.5) installations. Expect patches on sunday.

--
"How do I read this file?" -  "You uudecode it."  - "I I I decode it?"