Re: reading material?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: reading material?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:23:30 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> * Han-Wen Nienhuys (address@hidden) wrote:
> > We have actually gotten to the point that we have a slight dislike for
> > C++ as an implementation language. I recommend to learn Scheme and
>
> I'm learning C++ to use in sound synthesis programs and to be able to
> hack lilypond. Could you share a litte more about your dislikes?

I remember having had longish slashdot flamewar about it, see
also

  http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen/public/ramblings/stroustrup

I think that it is too large, too complex, and carries to much
historical baggage that sacrifices correctness for speed. Also it
lacks a lot of features that I consider necessary for comfortable
programming, like garbage collection, reflection and built-in strings,
lists, dictionaries, vectors, and first-class functions.

If I have made a resolution for myself that I will learn Objective
Caml for my next large project (if there will ever be one).