small fixes

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: small fixes
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 23:07:44 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Hi,
>
> What should I do if I want to fix small (and possibly harmless)
> things (like the --enable-gui thing):
>
> 1. should I silently fix it (you'll figure it out from the cvs log)
> 2. should fix and post a message to the devel list
> 3. should ask if I should/could fix it

The way I do this in GUILE (where I am a regular contributor), is to
send a bug report to the devel-list. Then, I usually don't wait for
the reply, but start to analyse the problem and look for a fix. Once I
have that, I reply to my own bugreport, saying "fixed", including the
analysis of the problem.

This procedure may be slightly elaborate and narcissistic, but doing
all these steps makes it clear what the problem and the fix is, not in
the last place, writing things down makes the real problem more clear
to yourself.

In general, if you have a good idea, then Just Do It, and don't wait
for permission. If you are in doubt, then ask a question, and wait for
the answer.