Re: address@hidden Lilypond Comments!

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: address@hidden Lilypond Comments!
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:09:06 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:24:46 +0200 Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> > | and point), I get a useless 'end of buffer' message instead of a
> > beat count.
> >
> > I'll fix \bar if you want, but offhand I'm inclined not to. It's easy
> > to add | before or after \bar "|", for when you want measures counted
> > before/after \bar. In other words, yes its a bug, but there's an easy
> > workaround, and fixing the bug would be for the sake of completeness,
> > rather than adding functionality.
>
> It's also a strange request, the \bar "|" does not affect measure
> timing, and | does not take it into account.

When looking at a score, \bar "|" is typically from which I start to count
notes. If I understood the point properly, it is possible that the measure
timing and the places of bar lines need not to be syncronized. Maybe that is the
case in modern metric music, but isn't it more due to the laziness of a composer
(which often is the source of a true inspiration! ;) that not all
time-signatures are being written out.

IMHO, \bar "anystring", or simply, "anystring" should just be skipped
properly. In other words, one would attach which-bar to the | marks only:

  { | c4 d e f |\bar ":|:" g a b c' |\bar "|." }

Then, if you put dotted \bar ":" in the middle of a cycle, or an empty \bar ""
in case of a forced line break, the counter would not be confused.

--
  Heikki Junes