RE: Lilypond 2.3.x / Fret Diagrams

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: Lilypond 2.3.x / Fret Diagrams
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:39:54 -0600

Harald,

Thanks for using the fret diagrams!

It may not be clear to you from the documentation, but the fret number
will automatically be added any time that the highest fret number in the
diagram is greater than the number of frets in the diagram.

So if you wanted to have an A chord, starting with a barre on the fifth
fret, you could use the following definition string in the current
(developmental) release.

\markup \fret-diagram "6-5;5-7;4-7;3-6;1-5;c-6-1-5;"

This should give you a fret diagram with the fret label at the
right-hand side top of the fret diagram, labeled in a lower-case roman
numeral.

At present, we do not have the option for moving the fret label to the
left-hand side, although this could be added.  Also, we don't have the
option for Arabic numerals, or upper-case roman numerals.  Is there a
standard in Germany that fret labels are on the left side? (In the U.S.,
the label is always on the right side, as far as I can determine.  And
the fret label is a lower-case roman numeral.)

Thanks,

Carl Sorensen