Re: LilyPond 2.3.7 is out

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.3.7 is out
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:59:03 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> > To spur the adoption of LilyPond 2.3, I have decided to give 2.3 yet
> > another bonus-point over 2.2.  The latest development release sports
> > the long-awaited rewrite of the slur code.
>
> This might indeed be a reason to switch.  What about backporting? :-)

Yes, that's a cool idea. Why don't you give it a try :-)

> > In the meantime, Jan has been preparing for sleepless nights to come
> > by rewriting our build system.  Hopefully, we will switch LilyPond
> > to Scons (www.scons.org) in the near future, thus obviating the
> > baroque counterpoint of autoconf, make, stepmake and libtool.
>
> I'm following those changes with mild interest, waiting whether it
> really is as promising as you say.  Compare this with your enthusiasm
> for C++ at the beginning...

What, me?  I've been suppressing those memories with all my
might. Don't bring them back. :-)

the Scons format is very promising, the files are short, and simply
written in Python

        $ wc configure.in aclocal.m4  `find -name 'GNUmakefile' -or -name
'*.make'` | tail -1
          5103  14214 138250 totaal
        $ wc `find -name 'SCons*'`|tail -1
         1174  3841 34126 totaal

the worrying point is performance.  An up-to-dateness check of the
lily directory takes about 14 seconds, vs. 0.7 seconds for Make.  I
hope that this will further improve.