leftmargin and page layout

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: leftmargin and page layout
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:34:01 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Hi,
>
> I implemented leftmargin in the \bookpaper block. rightmargin as an
> option is still missing, but one can set it's value indirectly by
> setting leftmargin and linewidth:
>
> \bookpaper {
>     leftmargin = 3\cm
>     linewidth = 14\cm
> }
>
> if paper in this example is a4 (21 cm) rightmargin will be 4cm.
>
> It seems that that if the \paper block exists the linewidth command
> above will not work well.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1. what is the difference between \bookpaper and \paper? I see that
> some variables can be set on both. As I mentioned above, if I had
> both \bookpaper and \paper the result could be weired.

\bookpaper and \paper are basically the same internally.  In practice,
they are nested. \bookpaper defines default font sizes, as well  as
output scaling. \paper sets defintions for \score blocks. All settings
in  \bookpaper are defaults to \paper. In other words, a \paper
setting will override a \bookpaper setting

> 2. lilypond uses mainly hsize and linewidth to determine the size of
> the side margins. for instance, in paper.scm:
>
>     (module-define! m 'linewidth (- w (* 20 mm)))
>
> the 20mm is the hardcoded default for the sum of both margins. I
> believe that to have true left and right margins defined by the user
> linewidth had to be defined in relation to them,
> like linewidth = hzise-(lmargin+rmargin)

I'm not sure what the best approach is. Of course, 1 quantity from
{linewidth,margin,hsize} is always redundant. I think it would be best
if we could devise a system, where we can specify any two quantities
and have the third computed automatically.

How does latex cope with this problem?

> I believe that in most cases the uses wants to use
> (top|bottom|left|right)margins instead of line(width|height).

I'm not sure. Of course, I'm rather typographically inclined, but I
always specify linewidth. That is also the quantity that should not be
changed after final layout tweaks have been done. Layout depends on
linewidth. It would be a bad thing if printing a piece for a different
paper size would upset my careful formatting.