Re: elastic space between staves

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: elastic space between staves
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:40:47 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> > You could try to manually tune the space between staves down only
> > for the first 2 systems.  See input/test/piano-staff-distance.
>
> I know that I have to do this, but it is extremely ugly to do.
>
> > I don't see stretchable spaces within systems happening soon. I'm
> > not sure whether we enough architecture to deal with it.
>
> Hmm, it shouldn't be too difficult.  Looking at LilyPond's 2.2.x TeX
> output, the vertical distances in a system are measured from a fictive
> point somewhere beneath the lowest staff.  This should be replaced
> with distances relative to fictive points in each staff.  All staves
> are put into boxes, and the boxes are then connected with vertical
> space which could be made elastic on demand.
>
> I'm sorry that I still haven't found enough time to test 2.3.x, so I
> can't say how much this model has changed.

I can assure you that this part of the model has not changed at all.
What you are suggesting is -in effect- copying the horizontal spacing
to the vertical spacing as well. For this to work, all vertical
spacing code has to be split in two: calculate rods (minimum
distances) and springs (elastic distances), and then the vertical
spacing pass must be mingled with page breaking.

Right now, page breaking uses systems as a fixed unit that can be
arbitrarily placed on the page.