Re: Lilypond can't find its fonts

From: Benjamin Esham
Subject: Re: Lilypond can't find its fonts
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:53:20 -0400

On Aug 3, 2004, at 5:12 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Benjamin Esham wrote:

On Aug 1, 2004, at 6:08 PM, Matthias Neeracher wrote:

[...] it looks to me like some TeX related environment variables may have been scrambled. Could it be that your shell is not running /sw/bin/init.
{sh,csh} properly?

The file is there, and the permissions seem to be fine (I can read it). AFAICT /sw/bin/init.csh is being run; my $PATH includes /sw/bin, and $TEXMF is set
to /sw/share/texmf.  Any ideas on this one?

This setting of TEXMF indicates that you have not sourced the settings
of the file lilypond-profile. I don't know how this is supposed to work
in the FINK package, but in the RedHat package, for example, that file
is installed in a directory (/etc/profile.d/) where it automatically is
sourced when you start a new shell.

(N.B.: I'm running 2.3.10 now.)

OK, there's a file /sw/etc/profile.d/lilypond.csh, and I added a line to my .cshrc (I use tcsh, if it matters) sourcing this file. However, lilypond still gives me this:

Interpreting music... error: can't find `feta20.afm'
Music font has not been installed properly.  Aborting

The font file is (still) present where it should be.  Upon further
examination, TEXMF still doesn't contain a reference to /sw/share/
lilypond/2.3.10, as it should.  I tried putting a "source /sw/etc/
profile.d/lilypond.csh" line in both my .login and .cshrc (and even both
at the same time), but the directory was not added; after running that
command manually, the directory was added, and now I have a *brand new*,
never-before-seen error :-)

Interpreting music... error: can't find `ecrm10.pfa'
Install the ec-mftraced package from http://lilypond.org/download/fonts/. Aborting

I made sure that my version of the ec-fonts-mftraced fink package is
up-to-date; I even rebuilt it, just to be sure. The error persisted. So I ran a "find" command, and found ecrm10.pfa in /sw/etc/texmf.local/fonts/
type1/public/ec-fonts-mftraced/.  I added "/sw/etc/texmf.local" to the
front of my $TEXMF, ran lilypond-- and got the same old error about
feta20.afm! Does anyone have any ideas on this increasingly bizarre problem?

--
Benjamin D. Esham      {      http://bdesham.net
address@hidden      }      AIM: bdesham 1 2 8