Re: entering music without \time

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: entering music without \time
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:42:05 +0200

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 22.20, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply
>
> > To me it makes sense to notate bar lengths by example (i like in
> > general when you can show what you mean by example; that way you
> > don't have to learn a new complicated syntax).
> >
> > But there is a major problem: How would you tell the difference
> > between e.g.  3/4 and 6/8?
>
> With a property you could define a default which can always be
> overridden with \time.

ok.. so the standard is to reduce as much as possible, and then there is a
list of pairs (duration . time signature) saying that when the bar length is
"duration", then "time signature" should be used?

Another problem is that different parts could get out of sync. If one staff
comes one 8th off, then you'll easily get undesired results such as

\time 1/8 c8 \time 7/8 c c c c c c c \time 1/8 ...

There should be some mechanism that prevents this from happening (perhaps only
the barchecks of one staff should be used to define the bar lengths, so the
others could be used as bar checks)

Erik