Re: manual style

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: manual style
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 09:57:48 +0200 (CEST)

> - I've arbitrarily picked the number 3 for spaces when indenting.

I prefer two spaces for indentation, at least for examples in the
documentation.  Expect that lilypond.info is displayed on terminal
windows which have a width of 80 characters only; the less indentation
the better are the chances that everything fits into this width.

> [3]  I personally think it's a ridiculous fad, but we _do_ want to be
> stylish, don't we?  :)

This is still better than in German where we often can see both
genders used at the same time (with incredible uppercase letters
amidst a word):

  StudentInnen

This means `Studenten' and `Studentinnen' simultaneously.

> - texinfo replaces ".  [A-Z]" with ". [A-Z" in HTML files and pdf.  I
> assume it does a similar thing when producing info files, too.

No.  In info files, you get two spaces after the full dot.  In HTML,
I'm not sure whether it can be controlled at all (if you can, it isn't
part of the HTML file but of the accompanying CSS file).  In PDF, you
actually *should* see slightly more space after a full stop ending a
sentence, according to texinfo.tex.

> Is there a way to change this?

Not really.

> I've converted the first few sections of the manual to using two
> spaces after a period, and it _is_ proper English to have two
> spaces, so it's a bit annoying to have texinfo replace the two
> spaces with only one.

Well, I would be careful with `proper English'.  It is an American
specialty defined in the `Chicago' style manual.  There are other
style recommendations which say you shouldn't have more space after a
full stop.  Anyway, in PDF (which is the only format where TeX is used
to get proper typographical output) you'll never get `two spaces'
since this is far too much space.

    Werner