Does "-f tex --tex" influence char selection?

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Does "-f tex --tex" influence char selection?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:32:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

One of the most outstanding bugs in ancient notation which I am still
trying to fix is that sometimes wrong characters are chosen within
mensural ligatures.  However, on my machine this bug occurs only when
building the documentation, but not when running lilypond manually from
the command line.  This lets me assume that this bug may be related to
some TeX font encoding problem rather than to the ancient notation code
itself.

Specifically, I am talking about the first figure in section 5.17.9.1 of
the manual (created from
Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/lily-833201559.ly, as of current CVS).
When building the docu on my machine, I get the same wrong figure as on
the lilypond.org website for both, html and pdf.  However, when I fetch
lily-833201559.ly, comment out the "set! toplevel-score-handler" line
(such that the example runs from the command line), and run lilypond upon
it, that I get the expected result (see attachment).

So my questions are:

* Could someone else verify my observations by running lilypond from
  the command line directly on lily-833201559.ly (with the
  "toplevel-score-handler" line commented out or removed) and compare the
  result with the figure in section 5.17.9.1 of the manual and/or with the
  attachment below? (Yes, I know, there are a couple of "Infinity or NaN
  encountered" warnings, but these warnings should be unrelated.)

* What are the major differences between the way the docu is built and
  running lilypond from the command line without further options?  I can
  see that the "-f tex" and "--tex" options are used when building the
  docu; maybe this is the source of the error?

TIA,
Jürgen