still a cue problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: still a cue problem
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:59:28 +0200 (CEST)

I'm quite successfully using \quote, and in parts it works fine.
There is still a problem with full scores.

Assume that the file `trumpet.ily' is included both by `trumpet.ly'
(to create the trumpet part) and `score.ly' (to create the full
score).  To produce a cue I have this code in trumpet.ily:

  << { R1                      } \\
     { \small \quote "flute" 1 } >>

This works fine in trumpet.ly since the both the first and the second
block contains data.  In `score.ly', only the upper block is used
because \quote intentionally expands to nothing by saying

   \set Score.quotedEventTypes = #'()

at the top of `score.ly'.  Consequently, the code is equivalent to

  << { R1 } \\
     {    } >>

As you can see, the second group is empty.  Lilypond accepts that, but
it doesn't completely ignore the empty group: It shifts the whole rest
up.  To get correctly positioned whole rests I currently have to do
this:

  \tag #'score { R1 }
  \tag #'trumpet << { R1                      } \\
                    { \small \quote "flute" 1 } >>

(and applying the tags accordingly), but this is really ugly IMHO and
a lot of additional work.

Is it possible to make lilypond really ignore an empty group, without
any side effects?  Perhaps \quote can expand to an object which says
`Please ignore me completely'.  Or am I missing something?

    Werner