Re: convert-ly error

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: convert-ly error
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:49:54 +0200

On Sunday 17 October 2004 22.17, Ruud van Silfhout wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started to help the Mutopia project to get rid of a lot of very
> old files.
> I know that convert-ly is just a tool to ease conversion and not a
> mechansim to get a perfectly converted result that runs
> 'out-of-the-(converter)-box. But I would be glad if some problems
> are solved more automatically.
> 1. text markup is in many cases not translated
> 2. superfluous braces placed see:(\fp)()
> 3. slur-end is placed after rest: <ef c a>4( <d b>8 r)
>
> As  fas as I know the converter is written in python and I know nothing
> of python I am not able to fix these problems.
> Can someone have a look into this and tell me whether these problems can be
> fixed?

The script is based on regular expressions; hence things like nested
parenthesis expressions are not possible to express with it. This is what
causes your problems. There is limited support for converting those
expressions, but as soon as you use parentheses within parentheses, it
doesn't work anymore.

AFAIK there are no short-term plans to fix this.