Re: Transposed Chord name "F flat"

From: Arno Waschk
Subject: Re: Transposed Chord name "F flat"
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 23:18:15 +0100

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 02:28:43 +0100 (CET), Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Benjamin Esham wrote:

On Nov 2, 2004, at 6:20 PM, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

> Bear in mind, E and F-flat aren't actually the same note. Not only are
> they
> different points on the key scale, but in a properly tuned scale they
> aren't
> even the same frequency! Very close, but not the same.

Interesting... this flies in the face of everything I've ever been
taught :-D

Not really. I am sure you heard something about the "well tempered
clavier". It was one of J.S.Bach's greatest achievements: it allowed to
play through various keys (another thing Bach was great at) without
the accords sounding wrong.

Well, it is both sure that Bach did not invent a tuning system with equal intervals (which was theoretically invented some 150/200 years before his compositions) and that he did not use it (those people in that time were even proud of those different harmonies in different keys contained different amounts of interval tensions resulting in very different characters of those keys. E major was a painful thing and meant to be.)

Please elaborate on the difference; also, what tuning system are you
using?

You can find out about this on
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-Tempered_Clavier
and
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meantone_temperament

I have to oppose the term "properly tuned", though. There is no such thing
as a "proper tuning" (see especially "Meantone temperament"). Some people
are convinced that the Pythagorean temperament is the "correct" one,
because of its nice mathematical properties. This is, of course, a weak
argument (i.e. Newton's theory is much nicer in mathematical terms than
Einstein's theory, let alone Quantum Mechanics).

I find Einstein's mathematics much more beautiful. Not that i understand all of it...

In the Western world, we usually hear equally tempered instruments.

No. Never heard a good string quartet performing a long c major chord?
By the way, no piano is tuned equally temperedly. All octaves have to be too big, less the middle ones, more the high upper ones, and the lowest. Otherwise sound horrible. Now you may decide to call that way of tuning wrong or right...

That
is not totally true, though: trumpets, for example, suffer an especially
strange situation: some notes are played just by altering the embouchure,
so the interval is constrained by physical laws and the frequency can only
be an integer number multiplied by the base frequency. For other notes,
the length of the vibrating air is changed, and this is used to adapt it
to a "more equal" temperament.

Alphorns don't have this distinction, therefore it sounds wrong to Western
ears when someone tries to play something else than just
Tonica-Dominant-Subdominant.

Alphorns are not exactly suitable to perform a thing like a subdominante, if you were talking about that... But if those natural harmonics are supposed to sound wrong in our ears, i am not sure whether maybe our ears might be "mistuned" by too many midi-sounds being tempered for no reason.

BTW, yodeling, which has the same
musical roots as the alphorns, has the same temperament.

Yodeling temperament comes from beer rather than from theoretical ideas.
Yodeling is out of tune by definition. I am bavarian, believe me. (No, i am not yodeling myself...)

Greetings, Arno

--
http://www.arnowaschk.de