Re: Transposed Chord name "F flat"

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Transposed Chord name "F flat"
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 01:12:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Arno Waschk wrote:

> Well, it is both sure that Bach did not invent a tuning system with equal
> intervals [...]

Interesting! If you have a CD recording of Bach himself, I would like to
have a copy! And regarding certain keys having different characters than
others: everybody with absolute pitch - and even some without - will agree
that it changes the character for example of the Pathetique if you change
the key. I do not have absolute pitch, but I can tell if it is the right
key or not. That has nothing to do with temperament.

> I find Einstein's mathematics much more beautiful. Not that i understand
> all of it...

I do understand all of Einstein's wife's mathematics (after all, it was
her doing all the tedious calculations). And there are parts which seem to
be more complicated than they should be in order to appear "beautiful".

> By the way, no piano is tuned equally temperedly.

Oh well, I'd better sue Kawai then.

> Alphorns are not exactly suitable to perform a thing like a subdominante,

yes they are. Just not in the lowest octave. But then, you normally do not
play the lowest octave anyway.

> Yodeling temperament comes from beer rather than from theoretical ideas.

Yodeling comes not from beer, believe me.

> Yodeling is out of tune by definition. I am bavarian, believe me.

I occasionally do it myself. It comes straight from the heart. And it is
not at all out of tune. I am not Bavarian, but I am honoured to have
friends who can enchant me with their yodeling, and sometimes I even take
part in the whole.

If you didn't spend some hours climbing a mountain and enjoyed this
wonderful music high above the woods, echoing in perfect harmony from
mountainsides far away, you have missed something.

And I agree with another poster, this discussion doesn't belong here.

Ciao,
Dscho