Re: convert-ly doesn't convert figured bass

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: convert-ly doesn't convert figured bass
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:15:24 -0500

    Han-Wen> address@hidden writes:
    >> I was really hoping this sonata would be an easy project, since I'd
    >> already been through the learning curve.  Adding a new learning curve
    >> every 6 months isn't the best route to world domination.

    Han-Wen> I think that that is not a fair comment - 1.6 is over two years old
    Han-Wen> now.

But I was still using it up until  a few months ago.

I think there's a little bit of insensitivity towards people working
on large projects on this list.  Even when I can just run my lilypond
through convert-ly, I have to rewrite all my scripts and check the
paging on the lilypond-book output, and it just isn't anything I can
do as often as you produce major releases.  So I went from 1.6 to 2.0,
and I was only just finishing converting the Dowland to 2.0 when you
came out with 2.2.  So I decided to wait for 2.4, but it looks like the
changes to that are pretty major, and you're talking about 3.0 being
even more changes, so it's likely I'll skip 2.4 as well, although I am
doing some testing on Pedro's snapshots.

I'd like to help with development, but I'm really doing this to
publish music, not to learn new music description possibilities.

And it isn't at all clear to me what the changes to figured bass
between 1.6 and 2.4 have accomplished.  It doesn't sound like any
reader of the list has entered a whole sonata (or even a movement) in
the new syntax.  I don't see a way to do it without entering a lot of
redundant information that has to be proofread.  And I did enter 3
sonatas in the old syntax.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139