Re: Italian & international chord names.

From: Giancarlo Niccolai
Subject: Re: Italian & international chord names.
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 01:27:42 +0100

Alle 01:17, giovedì 25 novembre 2004, Han-Wen Nienhuys ha scritto:
> address@hidden writes:
> > Hello; this is a first try for the support of internationalized chord
> > names for "popular music"; actually this is quite a *vital* feature for
> > italian (and I suppose european) users, so something about it MUST be
> > done.
> >
> > The patch works with current CVS; however it's not very elegant. But as
> > its details are hidden in internationalization files (i.e.
> > "italiano.ly"), I suppose we can live with it.
>
> Hi,
>
> good to see people picking this up. Can you check out the support that
> is present for german note names, and mimick that pattern for italian?

I noticed it, but the topic is quite different: the german note names are just
a shift of some pitch in the chord names. They are implemented as a "plugged
in" modification of the currently determined name. In fact, this is a good
method to change the "system" of chords, and not their names. On the other
hand, Italian chord system (as well as French, I suppose), is absolutely
identical (isomorphic) to the english system, except for note naming.
Reassuming:

- German = system change / alteration of chord notation
- Italian/French = isomorphic system / different names.

For this reason I went for just a "change" of the names. In fact it is
theoretically possible to use the german system with italian names (I suppose
this can be done write down german ancient music); so I wouldn't mix the
concept of "chord system" (german/jazz/standard)  with "chord names" (same
system, just change of names).

Do you agree?

Giancarlo.