Re: lyricSkip?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lyricSkip?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:54:05 +0100

Erik Sandberg wrote:
On Thursday 02 December 2004 18.45, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

You certainly increase my confusion! Isn't the point that people want to
use \lyricsto to match music to lyrics, but at the same time be able
to tell LilyPond that "Now there shouldn't be any lyrics for 10 bars,
then you should start the matching again".

An underline is perfectly useful to skip a single note or a few notes.

I could change my proposition, to the following:
Instead of a \lyricsSkip variable, use a \skiplyrics command: \skiplyrics 5 skips 5 lyrics, and is hence an equivalent of { \repeat "unfold" 5 \skip 4 }. This would solve their problem as well.

Yes that's better, but you would still have to count that number of
notes to skip. Some month ago, the question appeared for a piece with
an introduction with a no or a single line of lyrics followed by a
section with several verses of lyrics. I still don't know that best
solution to that problem. One neat feature would be to be able to
switch between \lyricsto behaviour and explicit time durations.
This would not only solve the above problem but also situations
where you want to put two or more words below a single note but
otherwise match the syllables to the notes.

Btw there is an important difference between \skip and _, namely that in
{ bla -- _ bla } the hyphen is not correctly placed, while in
{ bla -- \skip 4 bla } it is.

Now I realize the reason for your original request, namely that you have
to specify a duration after the \skip command. It would certainly be
nice to have _ or some other special input character actually mean the
same as \skip 4.

   /Mats