pango, first try

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: pango, first try
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:38:50 +0100

Hi Werner

(not sure whether this should be moved to lilypond-hackers, but here
goes.. )

I had a look at using Pango for typesetting text. See the attached
program. I am wondering: are the number codes (printed as c XXX)
really unicode codes? When I convert

        \'all

as utf-8, I get

        c 67 w 14336 x 0 y 0
        c 177 w 6144 x 0 y 0
        c 177 w 6144 x 0 y 0
        c 0 w 0 x 0 y 0

that's not latin1, is it? In any event, I will need a table of unicode
-> glyphname mappings. I recall that there was a table available
somewhere.

Here are my further notes to the problem

****************
Target:

* use pango, freetype and fontconfig for managing fonts and font
  metrics.

  benefit:

  - internationalized lyrics in PS

  - easy font install

  - support for TTF fonts etc.

* use OpenType for the LilyPond font.

  Benefit:

  - one font: easier install

  - contains PUA map, no hacks for -f gnome.

  - contains special dimension tables (staff-space, line thick, etc.)

  - contains char metrics

Questions:

* PangoGlyph (uint32) <-> glyphname conversion.  Is this Unicode?

* Including PUA map for lilypond font.

* PangoGlyphUnit <-> Real World dimension conversion.

* How to integrate fontconfig into lilypond font-selection?

* How to integrate PangoFont into LilyPond Font_metric smob?

* How to handle dichotomy with TeX fonts and OTFs?

* How to handle: use fonts from build tree during compilation, and run
  from source dir.

* How to encode/decode table of special dimensions for the OT font.

* autoconf glue for freetype/fontconfig/pango

* Do we need any settings for language/shaper?

Next step:

Find a uint32 -> glyphname, dump glyphnames on PS in test program.