Re: LilyPond and Braille Music output

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: LilyPond and Braille Music output
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:13:16 +0100

[I'm CC-ing the mailing list since that's where there are more people
with useful insights]

address@hidden writes:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > There have been some attempts at Braille output, but I haven't seen
> > anything working yet.
>
> Ahh, right, google revealed some posting in year 2002...
>
> > You might want to ask around on one of the lilypond MLs.
>
> Hmm, since christmas time is coming soon, I guess I'll just
> go for a hacking session and see what comes of it :-).  Can you give
> me some pointers as to where this would be anchored?  I gather LilyPond
> consists of a C part, and lots of Scheme.  Since I know both languages,
> it shouldn't be too hard.  And starting points?

It's written in C++

See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2004-10/msg00241.html
for some doco of the internals.

I believe I wrote some replies to Ralph Little about a route to get
some Braille output.  IIRC Ralph can see, so he tried to hack it on
top of the existing notation (so that you can get traditional notation
and braille dots in the same system). I'm not sure if it's a wise
idea, but it makes it easier to develop incrementally.

Frankly, I really don't know what the best route is. I suspect that
the formatting might be sufficiently different from traditional
notation that you would need to write a completely new back-end.