Re: UTF8 and (La)TeX backend?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: UTF8 and (La)TeX backend?
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:29:11 +0100 (CET)

> > As perverse as it probably sounds in the very first moment, what
> > do you think of always create an EPS file, even for the TeX
> > backend, but without the text strings?
>
> Hmmm; that's an interesting idea.  I agree it sounds perverse at the
> beginning, but on 2nd thought it actually makes sense, because there
> most of the TeX backend escapes to PS anyway, via the \embeddedps{}
> macro.  Nevertheless, I don't see what practical advantage it would
> deliver.

The advantage is that we only have to externally handle the creation
of text strings, everything else is internal to lilypond.  With other
words, we no longer need the feta/parmesan/... TFM and PFB files,
since TeX will never see those glyphs -- only lilypond uses them.

Compare this to metapost's handling of labels (mpman.ps, pages 20ff)
which also works with both groff and TeX.

    Werner