Re: fetaXX fonts revised

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: fetaXX fonts revised
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:33:28 +0100 (CET)

> Also, I still don't have a firm grasp of what is and what isn't
> accepted from now on (except for non-circular pens).

For the planned mf2pt1 conversion it's quite simple:

 . Don't use `draw' with anything but `penrazor'.

 . Don't use `filldraw' with anything but feta_fillpen -- this expands
   to a 1-pixel wide pen if run with mf and a nullpen if run with
   mpost.  If you want to use `filldraw', use the proper `top', `rt',
   etc.

 . Don't use `---'.  Replace it with `--', specifying the curve
   directions.

For good pixelations, the following is needed:

 . Tangent points of curves should have integer coordinates (in the
   specific direction).

 . If you want to draw identical shapes repeatedly, use an integer
   offset for shifting.

 . For symmetrical glyphs (or glyphs which should be positioned
   exactly between or on staff lines) read the comment in
   feta-params.mf.

There are some other subtle things which I will eventually collect in
a README.

> Can I ask you to keep a watch on changes to the .MF code to verify
> that we don't mess up the changes you introduced?

OK.

    Werner