Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 26, Issue 21

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 26, Issue 21
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:58:44 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Bryan Stanbridge <address@hidden> writes
What we see is that this engraving standard has become bastardized by
both bands and orchestras increasingly since the 60s.  If you look at
the old band scores of Holst, for instance, especially those by B&H,
you'll notice they're also missing the "I."  The Hammersmith comes
to mind immediately as one that skips from H to J (though I can't
remember if that's a Boosey score or another publisher).  Modern
orchestras are using I more and more, but from a performer standpoint
I'd much prefer none of the media have adopted I.  Does it make sense
alphabetically?  Yes.  But in the middle of a rehearsal that's being
run very swiftly it's very easy to confuse I and J if it's not typeset
well.

I take your point ...

Now, having said all that I think it's a good idea to have as much
flexibility as we can have if it doesn't create too much confusion in
implementation.  This seems straight-forward enough and as long as I
don't have to use it -- fine by me. :)

But if I'm using lilypond to either replace a lost part, or typeset a crap written/photocopied-$DEITY-knows-how-often copy, I have to use the same conventions as the original ...

:-)

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.