Re: Introducing the LIlypond Snippet Repository

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Introducing the LIlypond Snippet Repository
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:38:32 -0800

On 30-Jan-05, at 7:38 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
address@hidden writes:
*** The Lilypond Snippet Repository ***

Essentially this is input/test/ done properly?  Sounds great!  :)

  * Perhaps you can work together with Graham to copy snippets from
    the manual. If the LSR is a success, we can drop the more esoteric
    examples from the manual.

I was going to be moving some of the more esoteric stuff back into
input/test/ , anyway.

  * I suspect that you could import the input/{test,regression}/
    directory wholesale.

input/test/ yes.  In addition, I propose that after we've got
input/test/ in the new DB, we remove it.  And re-organize the
whole input/ area.  IMO the only thing we should keep is
input/regression/  (and maybe stuff in input/no-notation/ that's
used for regression tests.

Obviously we'll need to make a Documentation/user/input/
directory for the stuff in input/test/ that's used in the docs, but
that'll still improve the organization.

  * is there a way to condense the DB into an file/package, both
    for offline viewing?
    Oh, wait you mentioned that already.

I would make this a priority.  The only thing that input/test/ has
right now (that the DB) doesn't is the ability to be used offline.

Now that I don't have a 'net connection at home, I've become much
more interested in offline documentation.  :)

  * Maybe it would be a good idea to have separate snippet DB for each
    branch (ie. a 2.4 and 2.6 database.). It is possible to run
    multiple versions of Lily alongside eachother. If you can't make
    it work, that is a serious bug, and I will gladly work with you to
    make it work

Wouldn't be ok to just have one branch (for the current stable) ?  When
a new stable branch is almost ready, converting the DB can be a good
test for convert-ly.  :)

We could freeze the old DB before doing that, and keep that version
available (like the docs for 2.2), but IMO there's no need to keep an
editable, compiled-every-night, version of a snippet repository
for 2.2 (or 2.0, or 2.4 once 2.6 comes out).

  * If I understand you correctly, you run untrusted .ly snippets
    unattended? In that case, I hope you are running lilypond with
    --safe, preferably sandboxed/chrooted. It is possible to do

One alternative is that you don't run new .ly snippets unattended -- a
user contributes a new snippet, and it waits for a few {hours, days}
until you look at it to ok it.  I can't see this site being such a haven
for activity that this is unworkable for you.  And this lets you make
sure that the new snippets are short/informative enough to be
good snippets.