Re: easier LilyPond tutorial?

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Re: easier LilyPond tutorial?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:21:41 +0100

Some proof of concept is ready.
I think there could be also a configuration wizard (to set PDF viewer
and bash's path), if something is not found in the path.
Attached a Tutorial.ly

Current implementation details:
- To turn on 'tutorial mode' the "LilyPond Tutorial" character sequence
must be present in the first line.
- If a line starts with a tab character or four spaces it gets a green
bar, and will be interpreted as one fragment.
- The good thing is that it works as a lilypond document, with code
completion, assistant, folding and so on.
- One drawback: the s character if stands alone will be highlighted in
all texts. (This problem could be eliminated with some dirty hacking.)
- Compile fragment creates a new temporary file all the time. It could
be made to create the same file per fragment. However, killing Acrobat
is not easy.

* Download location:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lily4jedit/lily4jedit-0.2.8pre1-1.zip?download
Unzip it to jEdit/jars directory

* Prerequisites:
LilyJHelp 2.4.3 - contains code completion files and latest syntax
coloring mode
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lily4jedit/lilyjhelp-2.4.3-1.zip?download
Unzip it to jEdit installation directory
Plugins - Install them via jEdit's Plugin Manager:
- ErrorList 1.3.2,
- SideKick 0.3.2
- Templates 3.3.0
- Console 4.1
- JakartaCommons 0.4.3

I hope it works (there are lots of experimental code in this version).
What do you think?

Bert

This is the LilyPond Tutorial. Here is a simple fragment of LilyPond:

        \new Staff {
                \relative c' {
                        c8 e c e g4 g |
                }
        }

To compile this fragment,

- Place the caret inside the fragment.
- Select LilyPond > Help > Tutorial > Compile fragment

Here is another fragment:

        { c d e f g a b c }

That's it.