grace note as first note of score

From: Stephen
Subject: grace note as first note of score
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:10:28 -0600

HI,

I know I read somewhere in the documentation on how to solve this problem, but the documentation is too large for me to search and I cannot find it. The problem is caused because a grace note anticipates the beat. When it is the first note in the first measure, lilypond tries to place the note before the first measure.

The solution I came up with is to place an invisible partial measure at the beginning of the piece. This hides the metronome indication, places the rest too far to the right, and the gracenote too far from the note it "graces".

Bye the way, an appoggiatura doesn't anticipate the beat. One of the pleas I have to the programmers is to distinguish the appogiatura from the gracenote in midi.

Stephen