package dependencies [was 'make all' failure]

From: David Bobroff
Subject: package dependencies [was 'make all' failure]
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 06:15:28 +0000

Han-Wen said:

> > WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  libgtk+-2.0-
> dev
> > or gtk+-2.0-devel >= 2.4.0 (installed: )
> >

> you're building with --enable-gui. GTK should not be necessary if you
> don't use this experimental feature.

This puzzles me.  I did not specify *any* options when I
did ./autogen.sh.  I looked through ~/lilypond/configure and saw that --
enable-gui is set to 'no' by default.

Jan said:

> > Ok, and it seems that some more package requirements have been added
> (or
> > I didn't get them installed when I installed Linux this time).  I
> tried
> > to add everything that the output complained was missing (and was
> afraid
> > I was on a descent into Dependency Hell) and almost satisfied
> > autogen.sh.
>
> Are there any packages needed that are not available for your
> distribution?

Not sure, see below about XFree86.

> Maybe we should find out and list the most convenient installation
> commands
> for each distribution, like I did for Debian at
>
>     http://lilypond.org/web/devel/packaging.html
>
> It should really not have to be more than a apt-get, yum,
> what-have-you command or two.

I would find this most welcome.

> > WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  libgtk+-2.0-
> dev
> > or gtk+-2.0-devel >= 2.4.0 (installed: )
> >
> > ERROR: Please install required programs:  libpangoft2-dev or
> pangoft2-
> > devel >= 1.6.0 (installed: )
>
> Ah, that's better than the compile failures you saw before.
>
> > Regarding libgtk+-2.0/gtk+2.0; I can't seem to find such a thing.
> Am I
> > not looking hard enough, or is this a typo?  Should it be
> libgtk2/gtk2?
> > I find in among the Fedora Core 3 RPMs gtk2 but nothing with the
> '+'.
> > Google searches for gtk+ only locate v1.2.x.
>
> It should probably be one of those, the -devel package.  The package
> is called gtk+, but different distributions use different, often
> unpredictable names.

Ok, that looks as though it might be the case.

> > As for libpangoft2-dev/pangoft2-devel; I'm simply not finding them.
>
> Thanks, that should read [lib]pango-dev[el]

Ok.

But, when I try to install the pango-devel RPM it starts screaming for
XFree86-devel and XFree86 does not even seem to be a part of Fedora Core
3.  XFree86-devel will demand XFree86 which may demand something else...

-David